A United States military installation about four miles outside of Mineral Wells, Texas, Camp Wolters operated as an Army camp from 1925 to 1946. After the war, the camp sat empty, deactivated for several years before reopening as an Air Force base in 1951 to train the Air Force engineers. Over the years, the camp was repurposed several times, but was finally deactivated in 1973. Today, parts of the site are used as an industrial park, a summer camp, and a Texas Army National Guard training center, but the many empty and abandoned buildings draw in urban explorers and military enthusiasts.
Fort Wolters was named for Brig. Gen. Jacob F. Wolters, a commander of the Fifty-sixth Brigade of the National Guard. The town of Mineral Wells donated fifty acres for the camp. It eventually grew to a total of 7,500 acres. At its peak, the camp could hold nearly 25,000 infantrymen.
When the camp was deactivated in the 70s, the government turned over all of its property to the General Service Administration for disposal. A series of complications resulted in most of the property not being destroyed: Some was given to the Lake Mineral Wells State Park, Weatherford College, and city and private businessmen.
Today, the majority of the site is known as Wolters Industrial Park and is privately owned by businessman. One of these surviving businesses is the Fort Wolters Helicopters Heliport, which is the only active aviation facility left in the area. It is located in the former engine shop of the Army Primary Helicopter Training Center.