Former Pittsburgh Stock Exchange – Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania - Atlas Obscura

Former Pittsburgh Stock Exchange

When oil was discovered just outside of Pittsburgh, the city became home to this regional stock market.  

12
20

At the beginning of the Pennsylvania oil rush, one of the first oil deposits was unearthed just north of Pittsburgh. From that time and well into the 20th-century, Pittsburgh was a major center of finance and home to the Pittsburgh Stock Exchange.  

The Pittsburgh Stock Exchange was originally known as Thurston’s Oil Exchange and opened in 1864. It operated until 1974 as a regional stock market, and at its height, 1,200 companies were traded on the exchange.  

Its original location from 1864-1903 was inside the Dollar Bank building now at 340 4th Ave. This grand Beaux-Arts Baroque structure is still used as a bank and can be visited during business hours. 

The Pittsburgh Stock Exchange was moved several times, including to 229 Fourth Avenue from 1903 to 1962, then to 333 Fourth Avenue. 

Community Contributors
Rudy Backpack Snorkel
Added By

Make an Edit Add Photos