Advertising Acceptability Guidelines
Last updated 8/5/2022
At Atlas Obscura, our mission is to inspire wonder and curiosity about the incredible world we all share.
Seek Wonder, Share Wonder.
Exploration Is for Everyone.
We are a publisher of best-in-class journalism about hidden places, incredible history, scientific marvels, and gastronomical wonders, and host a community-generated database of wondrous places around the world. We create content across several mediums, including digital media, social media, books, podcasts, documentary videos, film, television, online courses and events, and more.
We believe that exploration is for everyone and are therefore open to all perspectives. However, we are not an open platform. Guided by our values, we use our discretion in evaluating advertising opportunities. We strive to avoid ads that we believe to be factually inaccurate or discriminatory.
Atlas Obscura reserves the right to review ads to ensure that our standards are met and applied consistently and comprehensively.
At Atlas Obscura, we believe that exploration is for everyone and that through exploration we can connect people across cultures.
- We aim to keep Atlas Obscura’s advertising space open to anyone who wishes to further our mission of sharing wonder.
- We will evaluate each campaign on its own merits.
- We will not work with partners and talent, or accept ads that we deem intentionally misleading or fraudulent. This may include but is not limited to:
- Ads or partners that make or promote baseless claims or conspiracies
- Mistruths or unverified statements
- Ads that promote or are funded by the use or sale of services or products that are illicit or can cause immediate harm
- Inappropriate content, including foul language, violence, personal attacks, or sexually explicit material
- Incitements to violence
- Material that we deem offensive on the basis of race, religion, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or other identity group
- Overtly political content
- “Blind ads” that hide the identity of their source(s)
- All advertisements must include the legally required disclosure statements.