This entry is a stub
The East India Company built the fort in 1640. The structure was named Fort St. George after the Patron Saint of England. It would soon become the center of English activities, leading to a massive amount of growth and trade in the region. The city of Chennai itself (known as Madras during the period) was sparsely inhabited at the time and grew around the fort.