October 4, 1970, Janis Joplin, one of the most iconic female musicians of the 1960s died from an accidental overdose of heroin in room #105 of the Landmark Motor Hotel, at the tragic age of 27.
Today that same lodging still stands, although now it is called the Highland Gardens Hotel, but you can still stay in the same hotel room where Joplin lived for the last few months of her life. During the height of her short career, Janis Joplin was the darling of the music scene, and lived the lifestyle to the hilt. Known as the “The Queen of Psychedelic Soul” to fans, and simply “Pearl” to friends, Joplin became somewhat of a superstar thanks to her magnetic performances and legendarily rock-and-roll lifestyle.
Unfortunately, like so many figures in Joplin’s position, the lifestyle eventually caught up with her and she died in a shocking overdose that sent shockwaves through the music scene and marked a decided change in the decadent vibe of the era.
The room in which Joplin spent her final hours is still a rentable hotel room, and her fans seem to know it. The closet contains a small brass plaque, commemorating Joplin’s life, and the walls are heavily decorated with fan art and notes, comprising a ever-evolving shrine to the late singer.
Visit California with Atlas Obscura Trips
Hip-Hop, Hippies, and Robots: Invention and Reinvention in San Francisco
We'll set out together, September 19-21, to explore unusual galleries, test our cocktail-making skills, and visit the city's best unofficial museum.