Calling all Atlas Obscura enthusiasts—Atlas Obscura is hiring a Chapter Head to lead the New York Obscura Society! This job is a part-time paid position, with compensation based on chapter scale (number of events and attendees per month).
Atlas Obscura Society Chapters are the real-world outposts of Atlas Obscura, in which we run a regular program of local events and excursions designed to reveal the hidden wonders of the region and get enthusiastic locals and our readers off the computer and out exploring. We currently have chapters in New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, Washington D.C., Philadelphia, Seattle, Denver, and Portland.
The New York Chapter Head is responsible for leading and overseeing the Atlas Obscura Society Chapter. This includes:
- Developing and executing a calendar of unique, high-quality, engaging, and innovative events that are designed to spark a sense of wonder
- Recruiting, managing and leading a diverse team of field agents and volunteers to execute events in New York
- Event development and execution from start-to-finish (finances, publishing, promotion, customer service, management, audience surveys, and oversight)
- Representing the chapter in the community by interfacing with local media and forging with lasting partnerships and collaborations with New York institutions, organizations and individuals
- Managing audience experience by ensuring consistent high quality events in New York through careful vetting, creative problem-solving/ troubleshooting, and Net Promoter Score tracking/reporting
- Managing operations, overseeing budgets, maintaining accounts, summarizing financial status, preparing reports, and working with Headquarters accountants
- Expanding the chapter’s real-world and digital audience, as well as traffic across channels at atlasobscura.com, through cross-promotion and quarterly content creation
- Collaborating with other others in the Atlas Obscura universe - this includes working with other Obscura Society Chapters on nation-wide events, the Director of Events on special large-scale events and sponsored events, and the Head of the Obscura Society; as well as other Atlas Obscura departments including Editorial, Audience Development, Development, Sales, and Product staff
An Ideal Chapter Head
- Has a love and knowledge of New York and a desire to seek out the unusual, the hidden, and the wondrous in your area and to share your discoveries with others!
- Is a highly motivated self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit
- Is experienced in organizing and running both large- and small-scale events, especially those with lean budgets - background working with sponsors is also a bonus!
- Is an excellent writer and communicator
- Is comfortable using (or learning how to use) Mailchimp for emails, Eventbrite for ticketing, Zendesk for customer service, Slack for daily communication, and Excel and Quickbooks for accounting and reporting.
- Is committed to creativity, discovery, adventure, and high-quality execution
- Understands money, is able to generate and maintain a balanced business model
- Has a demonstrated track record of successful community building
- Exudes contagious enthusiasm
- Has a passion for Atlas Obscura’s mission and a deep curiosity about the world around them
- Is able to be present and work from in the Atlas Obscura office in Greenpoint, two days/week
To apply, please email a resume and a cover letter detailing your interest in the role and qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org with "New York Chapter Head” in the subject line. To stand out, please send an idea for a curious or wondrous event that you would design and lead (could be organized around a place or a community), along with a description that communicates what is interesting and unique about your event idea.