Know Before You Go
1. Hostel Ukraine Kiev Backpackers (http://www.hostelukraine.com/en//kiev/disaster.html) This is the only hostel in Kiev to offer a tour.
2. Hamalia (http://www.hamalia.ua/Incomming/Tour_to_Chernobyl/) This travel agency has been voted Ukraine's best travel agency over the past 5 years, but requires additional time to book a tour because official registration and permission is needed.
3. SoloEast Travel (http://www.tourkiev.com/chernobyl.php)
4. SAM Travel Company (http://www.ukrcam.com/tour/tour_3.html)
5. Lupine Travel (http://www.lupinetravel.co.uk/) This agency allows for an overnight stay in a Chernobyl hotel if requested.
Though each tour differs slightly in the itinerary, most run a few hundred dollars per person, with the price going down the more people added in the group. This price also includes a lunch for every tour, and some even cover lodging.
As stated before, each agency has a slightly different itinerary, but all the tours will visit roughly the same sites.
1. Chernobyl: The site of the explosion (all tourist must stay at least 200m from the Number 4 nuclear reactor sarcophagus, which was built to contain any further spills of the radioactive debris). There is a visitor center with a model of the reactor however, and questions about the explosion will be answered there.
2. Pripyat is also on the list. Sites to see include the public schools, a hospital, a never opened fairground complete with ferris wheel, and many homes and apartments, all abandoned. However, most tours do not allow people inside buildings due to their unsound structural instability.
3. Up until April 2008, visitors were also taken to the vehicle scrap yard where military machines used during the radioactive clean up were dumped. The Ukraine government has deemed this vehicle cemetery unfit for visitors due to it still lethal dose of radiation. Vehicles included helicopters, trucks, and ambulances. However, some tours take visitors to a safer abandoned shipyard instead.
Some tours include trips to other abandoned villages around the area and optional survivor guides upon request. Lunch for all tours is provided by food from outside the contamination zone.