Big Chiques Bridge #4
One of the few remaining covered bridges in Lancaster County.
Also known as Schenck’s Mill Bridge, this single span, double burr arch covered truss bridge spans Chiques Creek at the intersection of South Erisman Road and Schenck Road, and is one of less than 30 covered bridges remaining in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.
Constructed in 1847 by Charles Malhorn and Levi Fink, the bridge spans 80 feet across the creek with a total length of 96 feet. The bridge was rebuilt seven years later in 1855 and rehabilitated in 1977.
In keeping with local standards, both of the approaches are painted white. The side walls, both inside and out, are painted red. There are also metal beams over the entrances on either side, designed to prevent vehicles that exceed the 12-foot height limit from doing damage to the structure.
One such incident happened on New Year’s Eve in 2017. A truck driver from Arizona damaged the bridge while attempting to cross it. The bridge is in working shape and sees an estimated 250 crossings per day.
Know Before You Go
The bridge was added to the National Register of Historic Places on December 10, 1980.
Follow us on Twitter to get the latest on the world's hidden wonders.
Like us on Facebook to get the latest on the world's hidden wonders.Follow us on Twitter Like us on Facebook