Australia is home to more than just a couple of big things. The big country, it has been said, has a love of similarly-oversized objects. The Big Playable Guitar is only one of a loosely related set of about 150 sculptures and large structures sprinkled across the country. Most of these, the Big Playable Guitar included, serve as some of the country’s top tourist traps and can be found along major roads and highways or between prominent travel destinations.
Located in Narrandera, New South Wales, the Big Playable Guitar is the largest of its kind anywhere - it even has a Guinness World Record. You can find it, should you ever find yourself in Australia and in need of giant objects to waste your afternoon away with, at the Narrandera Visitor Information Centre. Measuring nearly six meters long and two meters across, the Big Playable Guitar is nearly impossible to miss.
Built by Robert Palmer, a member of the Narrandera Country Music Association, the Big Playable Guitar is meant to spur interested in country music in the area; that is, after all, the focus of Palmer’s organization.
Narrandera has long been a traveler’s destination as it sits at the junction of Sturt Highways and Newell on the Murrumbidgee River. But just traveler’s. Recently, Narrandera was measured as only housing a population of less than 4,000.
- Wikipedia: Narrandera: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narrandera
- Wikipedia: Australia's Big Things: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia%27s_big_things
- New South Wales: Big Guitar: http://www.visitnsw.com/town/Narrandera/Big_Guitar/info.aspx
- Plan Book Travel: Big Guitar - Narrandera: http://www.planbooktravel.com.au/attractions/nsw/narrandera/big-guitar
- Visit Vineyards: Big Guitar: http://www.visitvineyards.com/activities/local-attractions/info/big-guitar