Sitting on Irish farmland near the Forestalstown river, the ruins of Castleboro House have never been returned to the splendor they once embodied before IRA sympathizers destroyed the estate.
The grand manor house was first built in 1770 by Irish politician Rob Carew. The three-story house was a grand piece of architecture in its day, its opulence most apparent in the two-story entryway flanked by grand Corinthian columns. it also became known for its grand gardens which were opened to the public with a noted generosity of use. It was estimated that the estate cost a whopping £200,000, all of which was for naught when faced with fire and rebellion.
The first fire to ravage portions of the mansion broke out in 1840, and accident that destroyed a good portion of the manse, leaving only the west wing untouched. However, the house was mainly rebuilt and refurbished by the early 20th century. for all of the good it did. In 1923, as a result of “The Troubles,” IRA sympathizers performed a terrifying raid that ended up burning the home once again. A calamity from which the property would never recover.
Castleboro House has been left in ruins since it was destroyed, home to urban explorers and memories of a once grand life.
Know Before You Go
This is located on private land.