Once the primary source of ice in this region during the mid-20th century.
Constructed in 1936 and in operation until the 1950s, this distinctive roadside stand was used to supply locals with blocks of ice before modern refrigeration. As a drive-up location, the building was designed to look like a block of ice with a polar bear on top. There was also an icy awning that allowed vehicles to pull under the canopy and use hand signals, as shown in the sign on the building, to indicate how much ice they wanted.
Crystal Ice Company was founded by Guy Spearman in 1930 and once had four icehouses to distribute ice that was mainly used to preserve fish for the local fishing industry.
The location has been added to the National Register of Historic Places and is protected by a fence and a sign has been placed to explain the history. It was named one of the “Seven Wonders of Pensacola” in 2007 by the Pensacola News.
Know Before You Go
The icehouse is very easy to spot and there is streetside parking around.
Follow us on Twitter to get the latest on the world's hidden wonders.
Like us on Facebook to get the latest on the world's hidden wonders.Follow us on Twitter Like us on Facebook