During the medieval period Carrickfergus Town was the major settlement in all of Ulster, and greatly Belfast, which was just a village at the time. It had a fortress in Carrickfergus Castle, and trade links with nations such as Spain, Italy, and Germany. But by the 19th century, the local fishing industry had begun to decline and urgent action was required to save it.
The Fisherman’s Quay was originally built in 1831 in the Scotch Quarter of Carrickfergus Town to help grow the fishing industry, the town’s biggest employer at the time. But unfortunately the industry did not have long, by the time of the quay’s completion, all but one of the large commercial fishing vessels had departed for booming Belfast.
Today Fisherman’s Quay has been turned over to tourism, in particular landscape and seascape photography—in addition to some light pier fishing. The historic pier is also now a scheduled historic monument, which protects it from destruction. Just recently a plan for restoration was approved.
Know Before You Go
The Fisherman’s Quay is located along the shore at Marine Highway. There are multiple parking areas in the Scotch Quarter. It is just a 10-minute walk from Downshire Station.