The Garret is one of the oldest and most ornate limestone buildings in Bloomington. It was originally a limestone headquarters for BG Hoadley Quarries.
The building was occupied by the Garret family in the 60’s and filled with their curio collection which includes taxidermy, a small mummy, geologic specimens, furniture, fixtures and antique pornography.
It is rumored that the Garrets have several storage sheds full of additional wares that are not open to the public. Back in the late 1970s, this building was an outdoor equipment store, with a better supply of boots, tents and so forth, than most stores in Indiana. Dennis Garret used to run a lapidary shop in the basement making polished stone lamp shades. He was stricken with dementia around 2002 and has since passed.
His wife now runs the wondrous establishment as an antique shop, selling some of the less valued items in the collection.
The Batman house is the most eclectic Queen Anne in Bloomington. It was built in 1890 and was designed by architect John Nichols as a grandiose wedding gift to the union of Bloomington’s most prominent families: Batman and Waldron.