Tokyo’s Ueno district is a popular tourist spot known for its zoo, museums, Buddhist temples and open-air market. To serve travelers wanting to visit the area, the Hakubutsukan-Dōbutsuen (meaning “Museum-Zoo”) Station opened in 1933, located at the edge of Ueno Park.
The station had two aboveground exits. One of them, located near the Tokyo National Museum, was designed by the architect Shunji Nakagawa in a Western style resembling the National Diet Building. The other was built next to the Ueno Zoo, but closed in 1966 after the opening of the zoo’s new entrance. The former station was turned into a storage facility for the Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum.
Even while it was in operation, the station was dark and dusty, almost a haikyo (abandoned building). Its platform was narrow, and the walls were bare concrete covered with graffiti. A few pieces of graffiti include paintings of penguins and an elephant, which are said to have been drawn by a student of the nearby Tokyo University of the Arts, have became icons of sorts for the station.
The decrepit state of the station and the constant decline in passengers (less than 250 people using the station per day) led to its suspension of service in 1997, followed by its abandonment seven years later. It was renovated as a museum space and reopened for a limited time in 2018, with a new, Alice in Wonderland-esque art installation of a rabbit introduced to it, and there were brief openings in 2019 and 2020 as well.
Today, you can take the Keisei Line train to take a look at the abandoned station’s platform for a few seconds as it enters a tunnel, the eerily-lit white rabbit sculpture still standing inside.