The skeletal remains of the small Lake Shawnee Amusement Park create an eerie atmosphere which is appropriate given the park’s history of violence and death.
Built on the site of the Clay family massacre, which saw local Native Americans kidnap and kill members of a settling family, the amusement park was opened in 1926 to cater to the families of nearby coal workers. After the death of two children on the park grounds, the fun fair finally closed in 1966, leaving behind many of its rickety wood and steel rides. The rusting ferris wheel and children’s swing stand like dead trees among the unkempt wildlife. The grounds have changed hands over the years, but the land remains abandoned while the overgrown rides accumulate stories of hauntings and vengeful ghosts.