Considered by many to be the Ellis Island of Philadelphia, the Lazaretto Quarantine Station once inspected every person and piece of cargo coming in from the Delaware River. Although the complex was once in danger of collapse after decades of vacancy and neglect, several buildings have been renovated to serve as offices for the local government.
The Lazaretto complex was originally constructed in 1799 to deal with the devastating yellow fever epidemic that took hold in 1793, killing thousands in Philadelphia alone and forcing the national government from the city. The disease center featured a large main building with a number of smaller support structures, and—as with many disease hospitals—its own burial ground. After opening in 1801, the center became the checkpoint through which anyone (and anything, as goods were inspected for signs of disease, just as thoroughly) coming to Philadelphia had to pass before entering the city.
The facility operated until 1895, when its role as a disease hospital ceased. In the ensuing years, the site became a country club and a seaplane airbase, until it was finally abandoned. As age and neglect took their toll on the site, township officials lobbied for its upkeep and protection. In 2019, they got their wish: The main building was restored for use as local government offices. The site is open to visitors, and a self-guided (outdoor) audio tour is available at www.lazaretto.site.
Know Before You Go
The Lazaretto site is between the fire station parking lot and the river.