Sioux Army Depot – Potter, Nebraska - Atlas Obscura
THE GASTRO OBSCURA BOOK An eye-opening journey through the history, culture, and places of the culinary world. Just released! The Gastro Obscura book is here! Order Now

Sioux Army Depot

Potter, Nebraska

Storage units with a wartime past. 

45
150

The U.S. Army’s Sioux Ordnance Depot was established in western Nebraska on March 23, 1942. It was the only Army ammunition depot in Nebraska during WWII, the Korean War and the Vietnam War.

U.S. Army munitions were housed in 801 lumps of earth largely invisible from the skies, but dotting the ground like igloos over an area of 19,771 acres.

The depot was decommissioned on June 30, 1967.  Now unused by the military, many of these “igloos” have turned into storage facilities and garages for farmers who use them for their equipment and supplies. 

 

Know Before You Go

Stop near highway marker 362 on Highway 30 northwest of Brownson, Nebraska.

Community Contributors
mlaaker
Added By
Edited by

Make an Edit Add Photos

Related Places

Want to see fewer ads? Become a Member.
From Around the Web