Designed by John Gibbs of Oxford to commemorate Sir Tatton Sykes, 4th Baronet of Sledmere, the foundation stone was laid and construction commenced in 1865
The cost of the memorial tower was raised by subscription amongst 600 of his friends and tenants.
The monument is about 147 feet (42.25 meters) in height and was carved from Whitby and Mansfield stone on a motte of rubble surrounded by a dry moat. The original iron fence was removed in the 1940s during the war with the current one replacing it in the 1960s. It is an impressive structure that sits on a hilltop about a mile south of Sledmere and can be seen from miles around.
A caretaker for the monument once lived in the stone cottage across the road. He was at the time responsible for the maintenance of the monument and showed visitors up the internal staircase to the viewing room at the top. The internal viewing room is no longer open to the public.
The monument has detailed stone carvings including a sculptured relief of Sir Tatton on horseback beneath a tree.
The inscription on the monument plaque reads:
‘ERECTED TO THE MEMORY OF SIR TATTON SYKES BARONET BY THOSE WHO LOVED HIM AS A FRIEND AND HONOURED HIM AS A LANDLORD’.
Both the monument and cottage are Historic England Grade II listed.
Know Before You Go
The Monument can be viewed from the roadside park and grass area. Located on the B1252 Sledmere to Garton-on-the-Wolds road, about three miles east of the village of Sledmere with several other smaller monuments.