The isolated St. Mary’s Asylum was opened in 1914 in a quiet part of Northumberland, England near the village of Stannington.
The hospital would go on to also treat tuberculosis patients. During World War II, the military took over the facility so that it would treat injured soldiers. After many years in use the hospital closed its doors. Yet, it’s far-off location has kept many of its buildings and offices nearly intact. Some equipment can still be found among its ruins. There is also a chapel, and the residence for superintendents.
In 2015, the hospital was renovated and reopened as the St Mary’s Inn and B&B. Many of the original features of the buildings are retained and the chapel is still empty and abandoned, although fenced off.
Visit England withAtlas Obscura Trips
London Science Weekend: Medicine and Science in the Press
Join New York Times Journeys and Atlas Obscura for three days of scientific learning, special access and exploration in London. Accompanied by Times journalists and scientific experts, meet people contributing to the history of medicine and scientific journalism. This two-track program includes panels, exclusive visits and access to some of the best scientific minds available to concentrate on science reporting or medical history.