This entry is a stub
Before the availability of mobile radio communications, British police forces installed telephone boxes to allow patrolling constables the ability to stay in touch with their station. Various colors were often used to paint these boxes as different municipal forces had different color schemes. This particular box was installed around 1929.
The boxes in Sheffield were painted green and white They also featured a design that allowed them to be used as temporary lock-ups to detain suspects. Both the telephone and a first aid kit could be accessed from the outside by members of the public or the constable.
When radio communications became available for individual officers, cities began removing the boxes. The only one left in Sheffield can be found along Surrey Street, just outside the town hall. Although no longer a police callbox, this one is still used by city ambassadors to provide tourists with a helping hand and travel information.