The Holy Rosary Cathedral is visible for miles, at 90 feet, it’s one of the highest structures in Saskatchewan’s capital city.
The Holy Rosary Cathedral was constructed from 1912 to 1917 and was designed by Joseph Fortin. It was modeled after various churches in northern France that were constructed in the Romanesque Revival style. Fortin’s architectural firm was also responsible for designing Our Lady of Assumption in Gravelbourg and St. Paul’s in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.
The cost of the entire build was around $135,000, a hefty sum at the time. The building’s facade consists of yellow bricks with limestone accents. Archbishop Peregrin-Francois Stagni, the Apostolic Delegate to Canada, blessed the cornerstone in June of 1913 before a crowd of 2000 parishioners. The church has undergone several renovations over the years, more than five to the interior alone. In 1951, 43 stain glass windows designed by Andre Rault were installed. The most significant renovations came after a massive fire on April 12, 1976.
Other notable features of the cathedral include the mural in the apse depicting the Five Glorious Mysteries by local artist Lorraine Malach, as well as a pipe organ of more than 3,100 pipes. The organ was coined the McGuigan Organ in honor of Sister Marion McGuigan, a Regina educator, and humanitarian.