Hull Street was the “first street” in the city of Boston.
At least, it was the first street with an actual name by which to call it. Before then, the population wasn’t big enough to warrant the necessity.
Around 1700, Hannah Hull Sewall named the street after her deceased parents. Soon after, the city’s selectmen agreed to name all of the streets and by 1708 they had accomplished this task; many of the names have changed, and only fourteen of the North End’s alleys and roads retained their original titles.