Pieces of a small industrial town sit crumbling in the woods. Weeds and vines ensnare the few surviving structures. The bits of rotting wood and worn stone remain like markers of a ghost town destined to one day fade into the forest.
Daniels (formerly known as Elysville) was once a booming little town alongside the Patapsco River in Maryland. It was born in 1810, when Thomas Ely and his family moved there and established a textile mill. By the 20th century, an entire industrial village had popped up around the mill, complete with stores, churches, a school, and a railroad station.
But as it turns out, the tiny town was destined for a quick burst of life rather than long-term survival. The mill closed in the late 1960s, and the nearly 90 families who had lived there for years were told to pack up and leave. To add insult to injury, tropical storm Agnes tore through the region in 1972, flooding the town and destroying many of its buildings, leading to its full abandonment.
Now, Daniels is no more than a ghost town of stone ruins and decaying wood. Graffiti mars bits of the old buildings. Rotting cars rest undisturbed, left wherever the floodwaters happened to put them. It’s still possible to see remnants of Saint Stanislaus Kostka Church and its small graveyard, the Pentecostal Holiness Church, and the old dam and bridge.