Just across from Silver Lake Reservoir is the building Richard Neutra once called his home and workplace until his death in 1970. The first iteration of this house was constructed in 1932 with the financial backing of a wealthy Dutch industrialist named Cees H. Van der Leeuw, which is where the “VDL” initials come from.
Sadly, a fire destroyed the original property in March 1963, turning much of his life’s work and architectural sketches into ashes. However, his son Dion along with his father’s oversight were able to rebuild on the same plot of land in 1964, but not without making some major changes to the design.
These changes included open-tread staircases and an expanded use of glass planes and pools of water as a means of bringing about a reflective, transparent environment to the property.
After Richard’s death, his widow Dione donated the house in 1980 to Cal Poly Pomona, where Neutra taught lectures at and who continues to maintain the house to this day.
Know Before You Go
The residence is open to the public on Saturdays from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and tours are offered by Cal Poly Pomona Architecture students. Street parking can be found nearby.