Just across the river from Louisville is one of the oldest candy stores in the region. The Schimpff family has been making candy in the area since at least the 1850s, and it remains a family tradition to this day. It’s been named one of the state’s hidden treasures and is considered by locals to be a crucial stop in any tour of the Louisville area.
The current location in downtown Jeffersonville wasn’t established until 1891 by Gus Schimpff. The business was passed on from generation to generation and has stayed in continuous operation ever since, even surviving the Great 1937 Flood.
Celebrating their 110th anniversary in 2001, the family expanded into the building next door and opened a museum filled with historical candy memorabilia, where guests can see homemade candy being created on authentic century-old equipment.
The establishment became renowned in the region for both the food as well as the history and antique flair of the building. It is best known for three specialties: cinnamon red hots, hard candy fish, and a kind of caramel covered marshmallow treat called a Modjeska (named after a Polish actress who visited Louisville in the late 19th century).