This impressive two-level bridge spanning the canyon of the Tounjčica is also historically important.
The first level of the bridge was inspired by Roman architecture. It was constructed in 1775 to honor the Austrian emperor and Croatian king Joseph II. In 1836, with the renovation of the road, a second level was designed with sculptures.
During World War II, the upper level was mostly destroyed and replaced with a temporary wooden structure between 1957-1973 when the bridge was finally repaired. However, most of the previous decorations were destroyed.
It wasn’t until 2011 that a few surviving sculptures and statues were placed back onto the bridge.
Know Before You Go
There is a parking spot on one side of the bridge and a viewpoint down a path on the other side. Pictures can be taken from this location.
Also of note, in the woods right above the parking spot, visitors will see the sentimental naive sculpture of the last Miller couple on Tounjčica made by their son Mirko.