Vigna Randanini is one of seven Jewish catacombs in Rome, Italy, and one of just two that are open to the public.
The catacombs were discovered in an area once known as “Vigna Randanini” between the via Appia Pignatelli and the via Appia Antica in 1859. The underground burial sites feature tombs carved into the volcanic stone. During the 3rd and 4th century CE the catacombs were fully developed and contained several thousand burial sites. Some sites have decorations such as flowers and animals, and also Jewish faith subjects such as the Ark of the Covenant and the seven-branch candelabrum.
Obscura Day location: April 9, 2011.